02 November 2008

The Cricket Café

3159 SE Belmont, Portland, 97214
*This is a Plain Jane favorite!*

Sunday brunch is a popular tradition in Portland, and quite honestly my favorite meal of the week. The restaurant I keep going back to is The Cricket Café.

What I love about this place is THE FOOD! I've not eaten anything here that's less than amazing, though I particularly recommend the Cricket Skillet if you love dairy like I do. I love that you can get yourself a cup of coffee while you're waiting for a table. I love the tattooed staff, who are friendly and professional but not obsequious. I love the orange juice and the hash browns. And best of all I love the prices: the Cricket Skillet is only $8.25 and it's twice as much as I can eat in one sitting. They also have dog-friendly seating available outside, if the weather's nice.

I will admit that the Cricket has a couple drawbacks. Firstly, it is so popular on a weekend morning that I almost always have to wait at least half an hour for a table (though that's pretty standard for any decent brunch place in the area). Secondly, sometimes I feel slightly claustrophobic amid the small, tightly-packed tables (though so far I have not accidentally elbowed or butt-bumped anyone).

A new complaint from this most recent experience was that the music was just too dang loud and my brunch companions and I had to shout to be heard. (Note to establishments: the music should be set at a volume just BELOW that of the conversation, not above it.) But in general that has not been a problem at the Cricket in the past.

The verdict: Yum, yum, gimme some! This place has been a favorite of mine for years. All thumbs up.

No comments: