20 October 2008

The Creamery *CLOSED*

1224 N Killingsworth, Portland, 97217

I was walking to the MAX one morning, and one of The Creamery's employees (or perhaps the owner himself?) was standing out front handing menus to passers-by. I glanced at it, saw they offer a full traditional English breakfast, and put it on my list of places to check out.

This morning I finally got the opportunity to breakfast at this little cafe, and I have two words for you: Grease Bomb.

On the plus side, the grilled tomatoes were cooked just right, the hash browns and baked beans were tasty, the hot chocolate was delicious enough to entice my lactose-semi-intolerant breakfast companion to the very last drop, the staff was eager to please, the music selection was eclectic and pleasing, and all the grease did a good job of lubing up my digestive tract for my morning BM.

On the down side, most everything was overcooked. If the bacon had been any crispier I would've chipped a tooth on it. The fried toast was fried all the way through rather than just crisped on the outside and resembled an enormous, grease-laden crouton. The scrambled eggs bordered on rubbery.

My experience made me sad; I could see how hard everyone was working, how concerned they all were that my companion and I had a pleasant experience. I also like the menu in theory, as it contains the traditional standards for American and English breakfasts that I love.

I think if the cook learns to tone it down a bit, they start making the house coffee a little stronger and they extend their hours to catch the coming-home crowd, this place has the potential to be a convenient hot spot for commuters walking to and from the MAX and buses.

*Note: since the writing of this review, The Creamery has become The Fish & Chip House. I have not tried it out since the name change.

No comments: