02 December 2008

Pause

5101 N Interstate Ave, Portland, 97217

Probably the best burger and fries I've ever had in my life. E-VER. And a huge plate of it will only cost you $8; no need to order an appetizer, though if you are in the mood for one I recommend the crab and shrimp con queso dip.

Pause stands out because it makes everything in-house, from molding their own patties (no frozen meat here!) to hand-cutting their fries, to the homemade chipotle mayo (which I didn't try because it showed up unexpected and therefore suspect on my bun, but which I'm sure is excellent).

The thing is, what I regularly order at Pause I love, but there's really nothing else on the menu that tempts me...except perhaps the mac and cheese, if not ordered with rosemary and broccolini. I don't know if they do this on purpose so they can have a relatively small menu with something that appeals to everyone, or whether they just have really eclectic taste.

As for atmosphere, I give it an A-. The layout inside is strange and not very feng-shui, but there are plenty of booths and everything's clean. The interior also manages to come across as industrial and warm at the same time. The bar is smoke-free, so you can actually taste your food (big plus, though after Jan. 1 all bars will be smoke-free anyway). There's a great outdoor seating area for the warmer months too.

And yes, Pause does take-out.

The verdict: When I'm in the mood for a burger or even just a basket of the best fries EVER, Pause is where you'll find me.

No comments: