23 December 2008

Pix Patisserie

3901 N Williams Ave., Portland, 97227

Trudged through several inches of snow for half an hour to get to Pix today. The good news was that they were open, the bad news was that none of the bakers showed up due to the snow, so I did not get the croissant I had come for. Poop.

This was my second visit to this Pix location (the other is on SE Division & 34th). The first time I had a hot chocolate and grilled panini sandwich. It was an artichoke and red pepper panini with some kind of cheese thrown in, but they used pickled artichokes that completely overpowered the other ingredients and made the bread soggy. Yuck! The hot chocolate was what brought me back today.

On this visit it really hit home how grossly overpriced Pix is. $18, which included a very modest tip, bought my companion and I two hot chocolates, a breakfast sandwich (cheddar, bacon and tomato on brioche) and a slice of undercooked quiche. There's nothing that grosses me out more than runny eggs. Neither my companion nor I were satiated by our small meal, nor can I say that the food was worth the exorbitant price.

And I don't understand in the least why they serve on the side the most disgusting olive/pickle mix that can be had; it tastes of nothing but vinegar. Surely a single edible olive is better than a small dish full of inedible ones?

I have to say that I was a little disappointed in my hot chocolate today as well. On my first visit, it was just the right temperature and had a lovely, thick layer of heavy, homemade whipped cream floating on top. But today I got hardly any whipped cream at all, and the pieces of crushed cocoa-covered hazelnuts used as a garnish, while they looked nice, did nothing good for the drinkability of the beverage. I ended up fishing all the little pieces out with my spoon.

Maybe I'm just grumpy due to limited mobility brought about by the snowfall. I'm willing to give Pix one more chance: the memory of that first hot chocolate haunts me, and I still have to try their croissants. But I'll steer clear of the sandwiches and quiche from now on. Totally not worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pix is ridiculous. Pastries there are amazing, at least in the southeast location, but I'm guessing they are the same in both locations, so yea, you should give them another chance.

Also, since you're asking for suggestions, I recommend you review the Everett Street Bistro, if you haven't already. One my favorite restaurants in NW Portland.