15 January 2009

La Costita

7405 SE Barbur Blvd Suite 110, Portland, 97219

Booooo! Hissss!

This used to be a Plain Jane favorite for the high yum factor, large portions, free chips & salsa, reasonable prices and friendly staff. They must've changed management recently, however, because my visit last week was sorely disappointing.

1. They stopped serving rice & beans on the side with my chicken mole: now it's only rice. The plate looked practically bare.

2. They charged for the chips & salsa. Boooooo!

3. It could have just been the server we got, but she was decidedly less friendly and relaxed than any other server I'd ever had there in the past. I blame the management. Happy staff make customers happy; unhappy staff make customers unhappy.

4. The prices haven't changed, but the portions are smaller. This goes for the side of sour cream & guacamole as well; for $2.50 I received only a small dollop of each. Hissssss!

I am not a person who is naturally averse to change, but the recent changes at La Costita are decidedly for the worse.

Overall: I'm very grumpy about having to find a new favorite Mexican restaurant. =*(

2 comments:

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

I've often pondered about #4 generally.
Would you prefer that they charge more and keep the portion size the same?

sha said...

Good point. I guess it would depend on how often the restaurant finds it necessary to cut expenses by messing with the portions/prices.

In general I think I would prefer a slight price increase every few years. There's something about getting two meals out of one that appeals to me. I do love the leftovers.

What is your opinion?